Monday, November 25, 2013

"No Exit"

Reading notes:

- There are three characters who are stuck in a single room. 
- The characters' names are Estelle, Garcin, and Inez.
- They setting is placed in the afterlife, but the three characters have trouble figuring out what they are being punished for.
- Setting: a single room with no mirrors.
- Estelle killed her baby by drowning it since the father of the child was not her husband. She later died of pneumonia while the father of the child committed suicide.
- Garcin was a soldier, who deserted, but was later shot 12 times while escaping to Mexico.
- Inez was is love with a woman, who had a husband, but that didn't stop the affair. The woman's husband ends up being killed by a tram, which causes the woman to lose her mind and kill both herself and Inez by turning the gas on within their home.
-The concept of torture: -Estelle is tortured by Garcin since he doesn't love her , but she is torturing Inez by being so interested in Garcin. -Inez tortures Garcin about not admitting whether or not he is a coward. 
-This makes the story ironic due to the fact that they have no idea who or what they are being published by when in reality they are torturing themselves.

Answers:

  1. I imagine my hell looking like the setting described by Sartre. I have a tendency to over- think, so  my mind would become either a prison or an escape to relaxation. Personally, I don't believe that there is a fiery physical place called hell. I believe that hell depends on the individual's point of view and beliefs. Each human being is different, so our personal ideas of hell are going to be different as well. Now, if I were to be trapped in the room created by Sartre, I would probably begin to over-think about certain aspects of my past life and develop a feeling of being trapped with no escape.
  2. "Everything in moderation" is a quote that I completely agree with. There can be too much of a good thing and can ruin the overall experience since it's no longer as special due to its over usage.
  3. The usage of dialogue to develop the tone of the setting provides a sort of challenge to the audience since we must create the imagine of the setting within our own minds. The setting in which Sartre created would be terrible to live in and I would probably still practice my daily routine, but I hope I would be able to accept my surroundings in order to move on and relax peacefully. 


No comments:

Post a Comment