Monday, November 11, 2013

A Poetic Inquiry

When thou shalt be disposed to set me light,
And place my merit in the eye of scorn,
Upon thy side, against myself I'll fight,
And prove thee virtuous, though thou art forsworn.
With mine own weakness being best acquainted,
Upon thy part I can set down a story
Of faults concealed, wherein I am attainted;
That thou in losing me shalt win much glory: 
And I by this will be a gainer too;
For bending all my loving thoughts on thee,
The injuries that to myself I do,
Doing thee vantage, double-vantage me.
   Such is my love, to thee I so belong,
   That for thy right, myself will bear all wrong.



My Big Question: How do we determine what is right and what is wrong? Each and everyday we are faced with choices that can determine our path of life and what we could or will become in the future. Decisions we make at different points in time may seem right in that moment, but is it really the best choice?
Sonnet 88 stood out to me and related to my big question in a different light. The sonnet is about the emotions of love the Fair Youth has towards a particular young man. He struggles with if his emotions should be shared or even if they are justified and wonders if he is good enough.  Although my big question doesn't necessarily connect to the idea of love, the concept of uncertainty does.  This sonnet has traits of uncertainty that are similar to my big question due to the fact that the idea of right and wrong is up to interpretation and timing. What is right to you may not be right to those around you. The Fair Youth believes his love is true, but is it? Over the course of this school year, I have realized that there is no set rules of what is right or wrong when it comes to the decisions we make. Society does have rules in which we are supposed to follow, but that doesn't mean we have to follow them. We create our own set of rules that pertain to what is the best option or choice for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment